Canning Vale man charged with possessing abhorrent child abuse material


A Canning Vale man is due to face a Perth court on Friday charged with allegedly possessing abhorrent child abuse material, including videos of infants being sexually abused.

The Australian Federal Police child protection triage unit arrested and charged the man last month after it received a report from the United States’ National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

The report alleged an internet user in Australia had uploaded several digital media files depicting children being abused to an online social media platform.

On May 28 the Western Australia Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team executed a search warrant at the 35-year-old man’s home and seized multiple electronic devices which they allege contain child abuse material.

He was charged with one count of possessing child abuse material, a charge which carries a 15-year jail term.

The man is due to face the Perth Magistrate’s Court today.

A digital forensic examination of the seized devices is ongoing and police have not ruled out laying further charges.

AFP Sergeant Joel Van Den Brun said such material was distressing and horrifying.

“If you view and share this type of abhorrent material online, you are complicit in the physical and emotional abuse of children – it’s as simple as that,” Sergeant Van Den Brun said.

“Child sexual abuse causes irreparable trauma and we will continue to be relentless in our pursuit of anyone who is involved in exploiting or hurting children, online and offline.

“While we have seen an alarming increase in the appetite for child exploitation material, today’s outcome is a reminder to the community that your online behaviour is not anonymous and the law will catch up with you.”

(Source)


Leave a comment


Please note, comments must be approved before they are published